Welcome to Forged in Fire

Forged in Fire is a high fantasy role-playing game, which is set in a world where legends come alive. Dragons exist, magic is at the tip of your fingers and the lands are beautiful beyond imagination. Join us in a journey throughout Avalance. Create your character and allow yourself to be surprised by the many adventures that lie ahead. Where one moment your character might be on its way to finding love, he could encounter a dragon or a unicorn the next. Nothing is impossible in these lands.

Current Season

AUTUMN

Temperatures stopped rising, but have yet to lower as autumn arrives in Avalance. Precipitation is still rare and mostly accompanied by thunderstorms.

Current Event

Long Live the Queen

The Queen is dead. House Aldyr is mourning the loss of their queen, while Lady Zehirah has been crowned Queen of Ashax.

Account switch

Username

Password

Discord

Credits

Copyright ©2019 by the FiF team
All rights reserved. No part of these texts may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of the staff. All images and characters belong to their respective owners and may not be reproduced, copied or altered without written permission.

Special thanks to madeinsevilla93 for our profiles and Wazilikie for our Sigil designs.

The site works on all browsers, but is best viewed in Google Chrome.

Basilton Cross
Mini-avatar : The road so far ARhLI6p6_o
IC posts : 178
Alias : Chuck

Character Sheet
Magic: None
Basilton CrossAvalance Citizen

The road so far Empty
The road so far

on Mon 27 Apr 2020, 13:32
Fight because you don't know
how to die quietly

Why hadn’t he said no? An easy word to say and yet he hadn’t. Faolan asked if he was willing to come to the memorial of the dead husband of Adeena Sylversword, and he had simply answered; sure. Basilton couldn’t help but feel it was to make up for last time, even when it probably wasn’t. He could join the Prince to a memorial of someone he’d never even seen, but he couldn’t help him save one of the most important people out of Faolan’s life? He should have said no.

While he normally rode right beside Faolan whenever they went somewhere, he was now more in the back among the guards. He was staring right in front of him, his expression a closed book. Faolan had only been back a few days and now he was on the road again. There hadn’t been time to tell him about everything that was going on in his own life if he wanted to tell Faolan.

They still had a long way to go before they would eventually reach the Glade and it already felt like they’d been riding for days in a row. Basilton lowered his eyes to look at his brown mare, giving her a pat on her neck. Koira he had to leave behind because they would be on the road too long.
A sigh escaped through his nose, as he looked up again, his eyes finding Faolan who was accompanied by his small dragon. It was still a hard thing to believe even with the truth right before him. So much had happened the last few weeks and that dragon was one of them. Maybe one of the only good things that have happened. He averted his eyes back to the road, continuing ignoring Faolan.

How long can you stand on a b r o k e n b r a n c h before it
f a l l s?
Faolan Aldyr
Mini-avatar : The road so far 16OQZk6
IC posts : 432
Alias : Jenn

Character Sheet
Magic: Dragonriding
Faolan AldyrPrince of Avalance

The road so far Empty
Re: The road so far

on Sat 02 May 2020, 12:25
This was a courtesy, traveling to the Glade to pay his respects for the death of their high Lord. Faolan didn’t want to, he was barely a week back from Crestfall and he had to leave again, without Costia this time. A week wasn’t enough to process everything that happened. And like that wasn’t enough there was Glaedr that hatched, Basilton who didn’t talk with him. He turned in the saddle, looking back to where his best friend was riding in the back. From the moment he had arrived back in Dragonwatch Basilton hardly said a thing. Inviting him for this trip wasn’t because he wanted Bas with him, he needed Bas with him. He needed to talk, to just say the things that laid on his heart. But it seemed Bas was struggling with his own feelings to … and Faolan had given him the time, but it wasn’t enough.

Faolan stopped his horse, looking back until Bas was the one riding aside him before he pushes the stallion back forward. Between his body and the start of the saddle, the dark red-brown dragon laid curled up, hardly moving, partly protected by Faolan his cloak. He looked shortly down to it, trying to find the right words before he looked aside at Basilton. ‘You are angry with me?’ He asked, knowing that the answer to that question probably was a yes. To be fair, he would have been angry too when Bas would leave to save somebody without telling him. ‘What is going on, talk.’ He followed slowly. He tried to search for eye contact, something of a sign that Bas was willing to talk this over. ‘Bas, please.’ It almost sounded like he begged. He was torn between his believes and the reality, he needed his best friend and he was pretty sure Bas needed him to. But he had always been kind of stubborn, more stubborn then Faolan ever would be. He couldn't loose Bas of all people, not after almost loosing Costia to.
They either want to kiss you, kill you or be you.

I can't protect everyone ... but I have to  t r y
Basilton Cross

Character Sheet

The road so far Empty

on Sat 02 May 2020, 16:43
how to die quietly

From where he was riding he could see how Faolan slowed down his horse until they were riding beside each other. This was how it was supposed to be. It felt right and at the same moment, he didn’t want it. Basilton hated talking about the things that troubled him and with everything that happened he didn’t even want to anymore. There were other people he could talk to, Paxton and Nath for example. Yet he knew talking to those two wasn’t the same and talking to a friend, to someone you would trust with your life and more.

His dark brown eyes stayed focussed on the path ahead, forcing himself not to look at the person now riding next to him. For a few seconds he thought of staying silent but he knew Faolan wouldn’t give up. “A lot, your Majesty.” The words were rather cold, not filled with the warmth they normally had when he talked to his best friend. And then there was the fact he addressed him with a proper title, something he never did, not even when talking to other Lords or Ladies. “Nothing to concern you with.” He wanted to push his horse forward, but the rider before him was blocking his path. It made him clench his jaws. Now it was obvious he should have stayed home. This was not a confrontation he wanted now. Or ever. Especially not with these soldiers surrounding them.

f a l l s?
Faolan Aldyr

Character Sheet

The road so far Empty

on Sat 02 May 2020, 17:42
The moment he slowed down he could see Bas almost visible tense. He didn’t know what happened but he knew he was part guilty for this behavior. Otherwise, Basilton would have talked, right? Faolan didn’t felt guilty for leaving Bas out of it, it was for his safety. He wouldn’t even have told Enya if she hadn’t heard in on it in the hallways. For the first time in his life, he had the change to do something on his own, that was his problem, his concern. People would do things for him his entire life, saving Costia was his burden.

Basilton didn’t even answer his first question. Faolan pulled a hand through his hair, trying to find a way for Basilton to talk. It was only by his second set of words that Basilton pushed out a cold reaction. Faolan looked at him, closing his teeth, feeling that sting of pain in his chest by the way he said it. Basilton had never called him Majesty, not once. So he begged, or at least something close to that but again his answer was flat, not wanting to bother Faolan with it. ‘Everything about you concerns me,’ he paused. ‘you are my best friend.’ It wouldn’t help. Bas was well known to be stubborn if he wanted to. Did he really have to get angry in order to make Bas confess? ‘Please spit it out, I know I’ve not been there lately but,’ He fell silent. But what? Maybe he should have made more time for Basilton, have reached out. Explained. But did Bas not understand? ‘Get angry with me, yell.’ His words were empty, almost said. He had been managing his emotions for weeks now, he couldn’t do it any longer. Not against Basilton of all people. They were used or reading minds from one another, but not this. Bas was completely shutting him out, he never did that before.

Basilton Cross

Character Sheet

The road so far Empty

on Sat 02 May 2020, 18:18
how to die quietly

Although they were outside and no one was stopping him from turning around his horse and going away, he felt trapped. This was not a conversation he wanted to have right now, but there was also no escaping it anymore. Basilton was well aware he couldn’t keep ignoring Faolan for the rest of his life, but it sounded easier than expressing his feelings and talking about everything.

If it was up to him, he wouldn’t say anything, but that would solve nothing. That is why he tried chasing him away by using his words, which also failed. The words spoken by Faolan made him clench his jaws. So he did care. That was something. His next words, on the other hand, made him sniff. He hadn’t been there at all. Basilton shook his head and looked the other way before finally turning his eyes towards Faolan.
“Then there is nothing more I have to say. You already have your answer.” If Faolan meant what he said, he must also know why he was angry with him. It was for that exact same reason; he was also always concerned about Faolan’s well-being and he wanted to be there for him when he needed him the most. Which was impossible when he was kept in the dark. At first, he had only felt frustrated, but that quickly turned to anger and concern when he found those letters. To know that Faolan might be on a suicide mission… it drove him mad.

All he did was look at Foalan from the corners of his eyes when he told him to get mad, to yell at him. But quickly he turned back to the road, his face still expressionless. He wouldn’t lose his temper, not here and not now. He has been angry for weeks, had even yelled, but he was tired of doing so and he wouldn’t give Faolan that satisfaction.

f a l l s?
Faolan Aldyr

Character Sheet

The road so far Empty

on Sun 03 May 2020, 09:41
Faolan wasn’t planning on arriving in Sapphire Keep divided. He had been through enough and he needed the people he trusted most close. That is why he asked Basilton to come because he knew he would need some kind of advice after a conversation with Adeena. He always pictured Bas to be the next Lord hand, in some ideal future world. Because there was nobody who knew Faolan and his vision better then Basilton. But maybe he could forget all of that. Maybe it was effortless to ask for so much. The more he said the more it seemed to affect Bas and it hurt. Somewhere deep inside it hurt him just as much as it hurt him to see Costia so broken. This was all his fault, he realized that now. And part of him wanted to let Bas go if that was what he wanted. But another part wanted to fight for the friendship because he couldn’t do this without Bas.

As he said he hadn’t been there for his friend, that everything about Bas concerned him he felt like he got his answer. And just as he wanted to explain the things Bas turned his eyes his way, saying what he thought he would say. It was like cutting a knife through his flesh. He had been so calm for so long. He had tried to keep his cool around Costia even when he wanted to yell that she couldn’t sacrifice her life for him. He tried to keep calm now but his inside was screaming, out of frustration but more than anything out of confusion and pain. Glaedr noticed that, the little dragon lifted his head, looking with such intensity from Faolan to Bas and back. Faolan closed his eyes for a moment, swallowing his anger before he spoke. ‘All my life I have to rely on others, live to that ideal that everybody dances to my wishes, that I stay unharmed as long as I have guards to protect me. I wanted to do it alone.’ He looked aside to Bas. ‘I didn’t tell you because I wanted to keep you safe, because I know you would rather give your life up for my safety then let me handle it on my own.’ He felt silent, feeling the little crack of anger underneath his voice. ‘She was in danger and it was my fault, it was my task to help her. Didn’t you think I didn’t want to tell you? I tell you everything Bas.’ That last part he almost shouted. ‘But I couldn’t risk your safety because we all know what you would do if you were there with me.’ Bas saved him once already for which Faolan was in-depth with him. He didn’t want his friend to do that again. but it didn’t matter because, in the end, it had been Costia doing exactly what he was afraid of. ‘And you can get angry for that all you want but I don’t regret it, because you are still alive, you both are.’ He said softer than before. He pushed his heels in the animal to get back in the front of the group.

His right-hand guard looked shortly over his shoulder to Bas before he looked back to Faolan. ‘I understand his anger. ‘Don’t start.’ Faolan snapped. Maybe he shouldn’t have asked Bas to come, maybe time would fade the discussion they had. Glaedr stretched his long vibrant dark red wings, turning his head to look at Faolan with those red eyes. He looked down to the dragon knowing all too well it wouldn’t be just Costia, Bas or this guard anymore that wanted to protect him, it would be Glaedr to. He signed, trying to be as stubborn as Bas was but he couldn’t. So he looked back over his shoulder to Bas, hoping his friend understood the things he had just said.

Basilton Cross

Character Sheet

The road so far Empty

on Sun 03 May 2020, 11:06
how to die quietly

Those weeks that Faolan had been acting strange, he had been training with some random soldiers he didn’t even know the name of, spent the night in a bar and he had never felt more alone before. Even Ninos was too busy arranging his marriage.

Faolan started talking then, only this time he didn’t stop. The grip with which Basilton held his reins, tightened with every word he said. He wanted to ignore everything he said because that would be easier, but he knew his own control was slipping through his fingers.
When Faolan was done and rode away, he closed his eyes, trying to remain his calm posture and not care. All he had to do was survive this trip and then go home. Then he could go drown in his own self-pity again while spending the night drunk at some bar. But the words kept going through his head over and over again.

Basilton couldn’t take it anymore. In a gallop, he moved to the front and used his horse to block Faolan’s path. “Go ahead, we’ll follow! Keep in sight if you must,” he told the guards who shared a look before doing as they were told. All of them knew that things weren’t going well between the two of them, so they seemed to understand why it was Basilton who asked this of them.
He looked as their horses passed them and rode further. One last glance over his shoulder and he saw they were out of reach. With his eyes narrowed he looked back at Faolan. “You think I would fight for you because you are the Prince? Because you are the Prince and my life is worth nothing compared to yours?” he spat with disgust. Hearing those words hurt even more than knowing that he kept things from him. For now, he still managed to keep his voice calm, but his face showed all the anger he was feeling. It was unbelievable. When had he ever cared about the title Faolan was carrying with him? To Basilton he was much more than ‘the prince’, and Faolan was forgetting that. “I would give my life for you,” he started with a finger pointed at himself. “Because you are my friend and one of the most, if not the most important person in my life.” By now the hand he was pointing with was visibly shaking, so he lowered it, taking the reins. “If I were to give my life for yours, it’s because you are my friend and I can’t lose you! Have you ever asked yourself how I would feel if you didn’t come back?” How many true friends did he have? Faolan, Ninos… that’s where it ended really. And in a way, he had already lost the second one.

f a l l s?
Faolan Aldyr

Character Sheet

The road so far Empty

on Sun 03 May 2020, 12:17
Maybe this was all a big mistake, a mistake that would cost him his friendship. If he had just told Basilton things would have gone differently. But instead, Bas had to hear from somebody else. If he had been in Bas his shoes he would be angry too. He betrayed his friend by keeping him out of it. The longer Faolan thought about it the more he realized where his mistake laid. Bas was everything to him and he kept him in the dark. He ignored him while he was struggling over the letters Artax send, over his confusing feelings towards Costia. All this could be solved by just talking, but instead, he ignored the feeling, he ignored his friend and now he was paying the cost of that.

It didn’t take long of Basilton his horse galloped by, blocking the road as he commanded the guards to walk further. Faolan didn’t look at the guards as the commander of them just nodded before they all walked further. Faolan shifted his attention shortly, watching them go before Bas his words pulled his eyes back. Where he felt that anger before he just looked in calmth now. Glaedr crawled his way towards Faolan his shoulder, sitting there, watching Bas just as Faolan did. But as Bas talked Faolan only felt confusion. How could he think that? ‘No.’ He interrupted him almost. To be fair, Faolan didn’t care who would die for him, it was a soldier’s job to die for him. But Bas wasn’t just any soldier, him saying all of that was to point out the friendship he had, not to tell him he was just one of those. But Bas had taken it the wrong way, clearly. As he went on Faolan noticed the shivering in Bas his hand as he pointed to himself. He looked back up, knocking his own anger right from out of his body. As he was finished another pain struck his heart as he just looked at Bas. ‘Did you really thought I saw you like one of them?’ He pointed to the soldiers in front of them. ‘I don’t care about their lives as much as I do about yours. That is why they had to come and not you,’ he paused, shaking his head. ‘because your life is more to me than anybody in this world.’ He softens his voice, searching for his friend’s eyes. ‘Bas, you mean the world to me, I can’t lose the one person I trust the most. That is why I did not tell you because I know what you would do,’ He fell silent again, pushing his feet in his horse his flank so he turned, standing parallel with Bas his horse. He laid his hand on Bas his shoulder. ‘I didn’t mean to cause this, I did it to protect you. I almost lost Costia, I wasn’t planning on losing you too.’ He whispered.

There was only that hope. Hope that Basilton would be able to forgive him, to look past this. Never before the gap between the two of them was so big. And it was shattering him. Costia changed because of what Artax did, he couldn’t stand the thought that it would affect his relationship with Bas to. Even if there was a change he needed to pick between the two of them he would pick Bas, he needed Bas there. Because he was the only one before a cliff Faolan never would be able to crawl out off.

Basilton Cross

Character Sheet

The road so far Empty

on Sun 03 May 2020, 13:32
how to die quietly

Everyone around him was keeping things from him because they wanted to ‘protect’ him and he didn’t understand why everyone thought he needed protection. He wasn’t weak and fragile. He could’ve handled the truth if Hamilton had told him about his sickness, he could have helped Faolan figure out a good and solid plan and decipher the letters sooner. And yet they all thought keeping it from him was the better option. Maybe he was the fool for trusting them to do the right thing.

It was a good thing the soldiers had given them some space and time to talk about this. Not that talking seemed to help. If anything it was only making things worse. “Not until a few minutes ago, after you said how you wanted to do everything alone.” Because that would work out perfectly.

He met Faolan’s eyes with an ice-cold look. “Trust the most?” He repeated the words in disbelieve, shaking his head repeatedly. That had to be a joke. He looked back at Faolan when his horse moved forward until they were standing side by side. But the moment Faolan placed a hand on his shoulder, he pulled away immediately. “Yes, and if Enya hadn’t heard you talking, both you and Costia might be dead right now. That would have been so much better than letting me help.” When he finally figured out what was wrong with Faolan and where he was going, he feared for what was to come. He feared that he would get a letter that said Faolan had died trying to rescue Costia. Basilton had no idea how he would’ve responded to that, but it wouldn’t be pretty. “You know, this is why a King has a hand, to discuss this kind of situation and to make sure the foolish King doesn’t do anything extremely stupid!” He pointed an accusing finger at Faolan. “Your a fucking idiot Faolan!”  

f a l l s?
Faolan Aldyr

Character Sheet

The road so far Empty

on Sun 03 May 2020, 13:54
He thought the more he tried to say, the better it would help them. But it did the opposite. For every word, Faolan said Bas had another meaning to it. Faolan had an image, one he tried to explain but Basilton had a different one. And they collided with each other … making it worse over time. So when Bas stated that he didn’t know until minutes ago he just clenched his jaws, putting his teeth so hard together that there was no way a word would get through. How could he have caused it to turn out like this?

As he got the ice-cold look and the words, the way Bas pulled away as he tried to lay his hand on his shoulder he felt something snap inside of him. He looked at his friend in a way he never looked before, hurt, devastated, and angry all at the same time. Glaedr sensed the tension a made himself a tiny bit bigger like he would have some influence on the situation. Faolan hardly paid any attention to the dragon as his eyes were still pointed on Basilton. Maybe it would be better if he had been dead, it would have spared him this mess. But he kept silent, listening to Bas his lecturing about kings and right hands. It was only when he yelled that he had been a fucking idiot that he snapped completely. ‘I know I’m an idiot!’ He shouted back. The soldiers in front of them looked back on them but Faolan ignored them. ‘My ignorant decision cost me my friendship with you,’ he pointed in between them. ‘it cost me my relationship with Costia.’ He followed. Despite he and Costia were in some way alright, it wasn’t. They had to marry and it changed their whole dynamic. ‘I made a mistake and now I’m paying for it. You don’t need to tell me how stupid I am Basilton, I already figured that out on my own.’ He hissed, pulling his reins to the side to walk passed Bas his horse. His father once said a king could never be happy. He was right, the burden of it all pushed him down. If he would lose this, this friendship, then his whole sense of the right way to rule would be lost. And it was all his fault.

Basilton Cross

Character Sheet

The road so far Empty

on Sun 03 May 2020, 15:56
how to die quietly

Both of them had their own ideas about what happened. Both of them were right and both of them were wrong and they were too stubborn to admit it. He shouldn’t be surprised that Faolan kept him in the dark to protect him, he always placed others before himself. But if there was a chance that he could prevent Faolan from dying, he would take it. This whole situation had been too risky and if things had gone differently, they wouldn’t be having this conversation. They wouldn’t be on their way to a memorial in the Glade. No, Basilton would be standing by Faolan’s grave, thinking about everything he could’ve done to prevent it from happening. It was a scary vision and Basilton was afraid that it would someday, come true.

This was going horribly wrong. They were getting angrier and angrier at each other and at some point, Basilton lost all hope of this having a happy ending. It started when Faolan said that his decision cost him their friendship. At those words he didn’t look away, instead, he forced himself to keep looking at Faolan while he let him talk. “Yeah well, it’s different to hear it from someone else.” His voice was calmer again and he sounded defeated.
Although his words had been harsh, he didn’t regret any of them. Faolan needed to hear the truth, and Basilton needed to accept what had happened, but he simply wasn’t ready to forgive him.

His horse wanted to follow when Faolan rode away, but he pulled the reins and she came to a halt again. Many thoughts crossed his mind as he watched him ride away. Part of him wanted to call after him, but he didn’t. But he also wanted to turn around and head back. There was no reason for him to follow anymore, but he realized that would only make things worse. If things could get any worse.

Slowly his own horse started to move forward again, but he never caught up with the group again. Yet he never lost sight of them.

f a l l s?
Sponsored content

The road so far Empty

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum